Sunday, August 21, 2011

110921 Cook and Share a Pot of Curry!

I love curries. They're hot, spicy and delicious! Both my grandmother makes nonya chicken curries at home all the time. I also enjoy other curries such as Indian curries, Thai curries, Japanese curries, Indonesian rendangs and even the British curries that come in a packet. Curry has got to be the most international dish.

It's also "Cook and Share a Pot of Curry" day in Singapore. This is a protest movement that came up because a Singaporean Indian family had to stop cooking curry when their newly-immigrated Chinese neighbors couldn't stand the smell of curries. Read the news article here. I will also take out an extract, so lazier people can read it too.

Case 1: A family, who had just moved here from China, had resorted to mediation because they could not stand the smell of curry that their Singaporean Indian neighbours would often cook. The Indian family, who were mindful of their neighbour’s aversion, had already taken to closing their doors and windows whenever they cooked the dish, but this was not enough. 
“They said: ‘Can you please do something? Can you don’t cook curry? Can you don’t eat curry?’,” said Madam Marcellina Giam, a Community Mediation Centre mediator. But the Indian family stood firm. In the end, Mdm Giam got the Indian family to agree to cook curry only when the Chinese family was not home. In return, they wanted their Chinese neighbours to at least give their dish a try.

This is not right, and I am cooking curry today not because I am xenophobic, but because I am concerned that this new Chinese diaspora in Singapore is diluting what it means to be Singaporean. I am also disgusted at Singapore's foreign immigration policy, and how its affecting the lives of native Singaporeans. Racial and cultural tolerance is at the very core of how Singapore came to be, and it would be a real pity to let that special trait go now.

Here's my pot of curry. It is a Thai green curry with yellow patty pan squash, zucchini, carrots, onions and pork slices. Enjoy!

ingredients for green curry

Thai green curry

I love curry, and I also love my multi-cultural and multi-racial Singapore.

"For Freedom, For Justice, For Curry!"

Here's Mr Brown's video/song about the event, and some links to give you more information.




No comments:

Post a Comment