Since there is only the two of us, I found the smallest roast we could find at the supermarket - 1.5lbs - and brought it home. Unfortunately, the supermarket tied up the roast in a really strange way such that the grains of both slabs of meat did not match, hence I cut the meat wrongly - not against the grain. Nevertheless, it was still a delicious and very impressive meal. :) Don't let a big hunk of meat intimidate you!
I served my roast beef with herbed mashed potatoes and lemon garlic broccoli.
- beef roast (however large/small you want, mine was 1.5lbs)
Ingredients for Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- [optional] 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- [optional] 1 teaspoon onion powder
- [optional] 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- [optional] some sprigs of rosemary
- If your roast didn't come tied up, tie up your roast.
- Pour the oil over the roast, and rub the dry marinate into the roast.
- Lay the roast fat side up. Roast the beef in the oven at 375F for 20min per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 140F to 150F.
- Remove roast from the oven, and wait 15-20min before carving.