Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Salmon Avocado Roll

Perhaps my greatest creation till date...
So, living in this god-forsaken place with no hope of eating any sushi at all, is driving me crazy. Sure, Boston's great. Sure, there are tons of concerts happening (Hey! We're going to watch Dave Holland tomorrow for free!) and sure, there is a Chinatown, that I've found the most three-quarter-decent dim sum there is in this country. BUT, why is there no sushi that is edible and affordable at the same time? Someone needs to get Minato from Baltimore to open a restaurant up here. 

In Baltimore, I ate sushi for lunch at least twice a week. I had sushi-loving friends, and Minato that sells great maki rolls for $5 a pop (half price specialty maki rolls on weekdays for lunch, can't beat that!) Seriously, someone just needs to bring Minato up here.

Anyway, my deprivation has led me to the unthinkable - making sushi rolls! I also think salmon and avocado go really well together, which led me to this! Salmon Avocado Maki Rolls!

Salmon Avocado Maki Rolls

Ingredients: (1 serving)

  • 1/3 cup sushi rice
  • 1 tablespoon mirin
  • 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 2 nori sheets
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 4 oz sushi grade salmon

raw ingredients

Method:
Cook 1/3 cup rice in 2/3 cup water. When the rice is cooked, add the mirin and rice vinegar and mix. Let the rice cool.

Cut up the avocado into strips. Cut your salmon into strips. [My salmon was all cut up because I bought salmon trim, which was a ton cheaper than a filet of salmon.]


Lay a nori sheet onto the bamboo sushi mat, and press rice onto the nori sheet so that it is at least halfway up the sheet. Wet your hands so that the rice does not stick to your fingers.


Lay avocado in the middle of all the rice. I mostly used three slices of avocado, because I love avocado!


Add some salmon on top of the avocado. 


Using the bamboo sushi mat, fold the rice over the ingredients so that the ingredients are in the middle of all the rice. Roll the sushi roll, and pull down as you go along, so that the rolls are tight. 


With the ingredients listed above, you will make two sushi rolls. 


Cut each roll into eight equal pieces and serve. [I halved it, and cut each half into quarters, and each quarter into eights.]

Salmon Avocado Rolls
So, how much would you pay for these rolls? $10? Look at that, even I am hungry again!



No comments:

Post a Comment