Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Roti Prata (Roti Canai)

I don't know what struck me to attempt roti prata. Maybe its because it is so delicious, and the frozen variety we find at the Indian supermarket is too expensive and doesn't taste as good. I know, a common trend for me is to make foods that I think are sold too expensively - first it was salted eggs, now its roti prata.

Anyway, roti prata is the Singaporean version of roti canai, its Malaysian counterpart. It is an Indian flatbread that is often eaten with sugar or curry, and has evolved into a versatile vehicle for variation. Back in my college days, we used to go to the 24hr Niqqi's behind Eusoff Hall at ungodly hours to sample all sorts of prata with a myriad of fillings. Banana, cheese, mushrooms - you name it. It might as well be an Indian ommelette!

My favorite prata is the plain prata, although I like the tissue prata too. The plain prata or prata kosong, as we call it, is to me, the most flavorful because it does not have other extra ingredients added to it to 'enhance' the taste. Same goes for tissue prata. (This is probably one of the few times I like plain things. I usually shun the word plain like a plague. Jason can attest to this!)



Ingredients: (makes 4 pratas)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup ghee
1/3 cup water
[I don't have ghee, so I substituted it with 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup canola oil.]

roti prata - Singapore's Indian bread

Method:
Mix the ghee and flour together. The flour should be flaky. Add the water to the mixture and knead for about 10 minutes. Add water teaspoon by teaspoon if it is too dry.

now let it rest for two to four hours

Let the dough rest for two to four hours. It will stretch better after this.

Remove the dough and place on an oiled surface. Knead it for another five minutes. Separate the dough into four equal balls and flatten out the balls with your palm. There are now two ways to do this - the roti prata man's flip, or just use a rolling pin and roll it flat. I did the latter (of course).

flat as flatbreads are supposed to be

After you roll it flat, fold the top side down, bottom side up, left side in and right side in. You will get something similar to a square, but with some air inside. Place this prata into a frying pan (no oil), and fry until it becomes golden brown. Do the same with the rest of the balls.

fold it!

fry it!

Serve with curry, or white sugar! I personally like curry AND sugar - call me greedy!

oh so so so good! 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Looks yummy. I would want to try this at home. Thank you for sharing your best roti prata in Singapore food experience. ;)

    -
    http://kampong.sg

    ReplyDelete