Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bacon Pasta alla Carbonara

Carbonara - my favorite style of pasta of all time. Bacon - only second to pancetta. This dish has got to be a favorite in my books, and it really is. However, I do have a rule in my house that limits bacon buying to 1lb every 6 months. At least Jason hates bacon and I can have that entire 2 pounds of bacon to myself. Its an irrational rule, I know, since there are tons of things we eat that are much worse than bacon, but I guess less fat on any front is always better.

I shall not go on my carbonara rant like last time, but I will say it one more time. Carbonara with cream is not real carbonara. Try it with a raw egg and thank me later. (To my American friends: A fresh raw egg won't kill you. Trust me.)


Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
  • 1/4 box pasta, cooked according to instructions on the box
    (I used angel hair, but any pasta can be used)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    or a pinch of dried oregano, basil and cilantro each
  • 2 tablespoons pecorino cheese, shredded
    or parmesan or romano if  you can't find pecorino cheese

Method
  • In a heated pan, fry the bacon strips until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, keeping the oil in the pan.
  • Add the olive oil and minced garlic to the pan. Lightly heat the garlic until it is fragrant.
  • Add the cooked pasta to the pan fry until the pasta is hot. 
  • Add the crispy bacon and Italian seasoning to the pan and fry until the bacon is fully incorporated in the pasta.
  • Remove the pasta from the pan and into a bowl. Crack the egg into the bowl and mix with the pasta until fully incorporated. (The egg will start to cook and become creamy.)
  • Shred the pecorino cheese on top. Mix before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment