Saturday, December 31, 2011

Eggplant and Pork Stirfry

Both my grandmothers love this recipe, and I have tried teaching them how to cook this for two summers now, but they both claim that my version is better. I seriously have no idea how two very seasoned cooks who have spent all their lives cooking for broods of children and grandchildren at every meal think my cooking is better, but I will gladly take that compliment any day.

I love eggplant, although I had no idea that I even liked eggplant until recent years. Eggplant is a great thing to cook because it has a variety of textures ranging from crisp to slimy (depending on how you cook it) and it absorbs any flavor that you put it in. Simply put, eggplant is awesome. You'll love it! Sometimes, you just don't know it until you try it again.


Ingredients
  • 2 Chinese eggplants, cut cross-sectioned, or on the bias
  • 1/2 pound minced pork
  • 1 green onion, cut into 2 inch sections
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup water
Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar 
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon black soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar


cut eggplant

Method
  • Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl, and mix until combined.
  • Heat the pan, and pour the cooking oil into the pan when heated. 
  • Add garlic to the pan, and fry till fragrant and golden brown.
  • Add the minced pork to the pan and fry until almost cooked.
  • Add the cut eggplant and water to the pan. Cover and wait for 3-4 minutes, or until eggplant is slightly soft.
  • Add the sauce over the eggplant, and fry until the eggplant is cooked.
  • Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment