Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Claypot Chicken Rice 沙锅/煲仔鸡饭

I absolutely love claypot chicken rice. When my grandmother makes it at home, I usually have seconds and thirds, because it is so good. I have never stopped eating claypot chicken rice at my own will before. I've only stopped because someone stopped me, or I'm saving food for others, or when the dish runs out. This is a true story.

In my opinion, the best part about claypot chicken rice is the slightly burnt and hard rice at the bottom of the claypot. That slightly burnt aroma mixed with the sweet smell of the Chinese sausage and tingling scent of the ginger just completes the dish. Many people do not believe that one can get that 'burnt' smell and texture by cooking claypot rice in a rice cooker, but I can. Read further to find out how. 

Anyway, another reason why I love claypot chicken rice so much is because it has Chinese liver sausage in it, and is one of the few dishes I know to incorporate Chinese liver sausage. I like liver. I like liverwurst. I like pate. I think the liver is the most delicious body parts of a pig/chicken ever, but it is so bad for you that I have never bought liver or liverwurst or even pate for fear of killing myself, because I can't stop myself from eating great food. Unfortunately, Chinese liver sausage is really hard to find (even in Singapore), and I couldn't find any at HMart, CMart or Super88, so against my wishes, there is no Chinese liver sausage in this, but thank goodness it still tastes good!

There is something about Chinese sausages that make them so delicious. I believe they call that umami. I can even smell my grandma's claypot chicken rice as I type this. Ah, the smell of home.

Yes, you're very welcome.


Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 2 chicken legs, deboned, deskinned and cut into one inch pieces
  • 2 Chinese sausages (ideally, 1 Chinese sausage and 1 Chinese liver sausage)
  • 1 tablespoon salted fish, fried (optional)
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 6 slices ginger
  • 10 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked (I substituted these with two packets of enoki mushrooms)
  • 1 1/2 cups white rice (uncooked)
  • 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
  • 1 stem green onions, chopped
  • water

Ingredients for Chicken Marinade
  • 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 3 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • dash of white pepper



Method
  • In a bowl, marinate the chicken pieces with the marinade. This does not need to be done before hand. (There will be extra marinade.)
  • Slice the Chinese sausages on the bias. 



  • In the rice cooker, add the garlic, ginger and sliced Chinese sausages. 
  • Turn the rice cooker on and let the Chinese sausages cook and release their fat.
  • Fry the Chinese sausages, ginger and garlic until the ginger and garlic are golden brown.
  • Remove half the Chinese sausages and set aside.



  • Add the uncooked rice to the rice cooker, and fry until the rice turns slightly transparent.
  • Add 2 and a half cups of water and a few sprigs of cilantro to the rice cooker.
  • Set the rice cooker on 'cook'.



  • In a frying pan, pan fry the chicken pieces and excess marinade until the chicken is cooked.
  • When the chicken is cooked, spoon the chicken out of the pan and set aside. Leave the excess marinade in the pan.



  • In the same pan, fry the shiitake mushrooms or enoki mushrooms. 
  • When the mushrooms are cooked, remove from pan and set aside. 



  • When the rice is cooked, add the chicken, remaining Chinese sausages and mushrooms on top of the rice. If there is excess marinade from the chicken and mushrooms, pour it over the rice in the rice cooker.
  • Add some chopped green onions on top of the rice, chicken and mushrooms.
  • Remove the cover of the rice cooker, and set the rice cooker on 'cook' for three to five minutes. Skip this step if you don't like 'burnt' food. (I highly recommend this step though.)
  • Stir the ingredients with the rice until completely mixed.
  • (If you like more burnt bits like I do, set the cooker on 'cook' once or twice more. You get more burnt bits this way.)
  • Serve warm.




This is proof that there are 'burnt bits' in my rice. Delicious!

5 comments:

  1. Omg! That looks so good! Totally pinned this on Pinterest to make later! (Got here from Reddit) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way how long did you marinade the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julz, I marinated the chicken just before cooking the rice. It was maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. When do you add the salt fish? Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iguano, I recommend adding the salted fish to the rice while it is cooking so that the rice will absorb the flavor of the salted fish. :) Hope you will enjoy the food! :)

      Delete