Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crockpot Lemon Chicken and Potatoes

School's back full swing, and this semester is going to be more awesome than last because I'm starting my new job as a writing tutor (I got the keys to my office today!) That is really awesome, because I love teaching, but it also means longer hours and possibly even no time to cook dinner.

I've learnt that crockpots are the way to go when life pushes you like this. If I'm back home at 8pm after spending the last ten hours in school, I want to come home and dive into a hearty dinner straight away, and not spend the next 30 minutes figuring out a presentable dinner. Crockpot to the rescue!

So, I've only made stocks, soups and pulled pork in a crockpot before. I figured that if a hunk of pork goes in and comes out absolutely perfect, chicken should be the same too, since that's the only big hunk of meat we had. We had a bunch of potatoes lying around too, so I decided on chicken and potatoes. It's a classic right?

Anyway, a major plus for this recipe is that it took all but ten minutes to chop the veggies and to plop the chicken in the crockpot. Awesome!

- start rant -

We buy whole chickens these days. It is cheaper than buying any cut of chicken, and every part of the chicken is there - even the gizzards and liver (my favorite!) Somehow, having something whole gives me much more consolation than buying chicken parts. [Something about not adding to the wasted dark meat in America. American doesn't like dark meat because people think chicken breast taste better and is healthier. Truth is, chicken breast very very seldom tastes better than the leg, and is only healthier because people are too lazy to remove the fat from their dark meat. As a result, the dark meat demand is not proportional to the white meat demand, and so the extra dark meat is sold to Russia, but in recent years, these sales have dwindled, resulting in a waste of dark meat.] And the best part about buying chickens whole - bones! (I make my own chicken stock too, and freeze them till needed.)

 - end rant -


Ingredients (6 servings)
  • 1 whole chicken (mine was 5.5lb)
  • 4 carrots
  • 4 medium potatoes
  • 1 lemon
  • salt
  • dash of pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic



Method
  • Peel your potatoes and carrots, then cut them into small chunks.
  • Lay the potatoes on the bottom of the crockpot.
  • Grate some lemon zest and set aside.
  • Slice the lemon, and add a few slices in the chicken cavity.
  • Salt both sides of the chicken liberally, then add the chicken on top of the potatoes.
  • Add the carrots, remaining lemon slices, lemon peel to the pot.
  • Grate two cloves of garlic and top with a dash of pepper.


  • Set the slow cooker to low, and check back in 7 to 8 hours.
  • Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment