Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Eggplant Pide (Turkish Pizza)

*tick tock* 5 days to the start of school - better cook all the fun things soon, before readings and teaching take over my life...

I wanted to try something very delicious, and insanely easy to make. I thought for a while, and finally decided that Eggplant Pide was it. Pide was introduced to me as a pizza, but I would describe it as a cross between a pizza and a canzone. 

I first tried pide with my friend, PY, at Alla Turka (which means "like the Turks") in Kampong Glam, one of the few (and my favorite) Turkish restaurant in Singapore. It was fantastic, easily one of my favorite new foods we had that night, in addition to my all-time favorite - lamb schwarma

When I eventually made it to Istanbul, I had so much pide and schwarma. Istanbul was heaven! Everyone was friendly (the men, often being over-friendly), and the food was just the most delicious food I've ever had. Rice pilaf quickly became a favorite too. Read all about my Istanbul trip here


Ingredients for Dough (2 servings)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Ingredients for Eggplant Filling
  • 1 eggplant, cut into quarters, and then sliced
  • 2 tomatoes, cubed
  • 1 small zucchini
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup basil, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • dash of pepper

Method
  • Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water, and wait about 10 minutes, or until water is frothy.
  • After 10 minutes, add the flour and oil to the water, and knead the dough until even.
  • Cover, and let rise in a warm place for an hour or two.

  • Add salt to the eggplant, and let the eggplant 'sweat' for about an hour. After an hour, run the eggplant under water multiple times, to wash off the salt, and squeeze off excess water.
  • Add oil to a heated pan, and fry garlic and onions until fragrant.
  • Add the eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes to the pan and fry until a thick sauce consistency is formed.
  • Add the chopped herbs and combine.


  • After the dough has risen, punch it down again, and divide into two equal balls.
  • Roll out each ball into a long oval.
  • Add the eggplant filling on the oval, add cheese on top, and fold the sides in.
  • Bake the pide for about 20 minutes.
the money shot... 

No comments:

Post a Comment