Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ketchup Tuna Salad

This recipe is one of the firsts that I discovered. It was back in primary school (or elementary school in the US) and I often brought sandwiches from home for lunch. [Contrary to what most people are thinking now, its not that school food was bad for us and expensive like here in the US. It was actually really cheap, and incredibly tasty. I could have gotten a bowl of noodles for 30c (circa 1993-ish). The problem was, recess was only 25min and sometimes not enough time to buy food and eat it. Also, I liked sandwiches back then - tuna, chicken, ham and cheese (ooo! a favorite!) and cheese and tomato (another favorite!)]

Anyway, one day, I was having a tuna salad bread sushi (I'll do a post on this some time soon) and decided to swap lunches with another friend who had a different tuna sandwich. That tuna sandwich changed my life completely! It was a ketchup tuna salad with cheese - oh my god it was the best tuna sandwich I've ever tasted. 

So I went home, and made tuna salad with ketchup. Voila. I'm impressed that my 7 year old tastebuds were that good. :)


Ingredients
  • 1 can tuna (please buy dolphin-free tuna...)
  • 1/3 onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 4 tablespoons ketchup



Method
  • Drain the can of tuna.
  • With a fork, smash the tuna until the tuna pieces are small.
  • Add the ketchup, mayonnaise and onion to the tuna.
  • Mix everything evenly. 
  • Eat it as a sandwich filling or as a dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment