Kueh Balu is another popular 'cake' that we have for Chinese New Year. It usually comes in interesting shapes and sizes, but unfortunately, I don't have the fun molds for kueh balu. In fact, we don't have molds of any sort at all. The closest thing we got that was like a mold, were heart-shaped cookie cutters from Target at the 75% off post-Valentines sale.
Last week, we finally bought a cupcake mold. This was after more than a year of going back and forth about getting it. So, instead of kueh balus looking like kueh balus, I present to you kueh balus looking like cupcakes. :) Ah, innovation. *haha*
Scroll down to see what kueh balus are supposed to look like.
Ingredients (makes 8 kueh balu-cupcakes)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (this is a reduced sugar recipe)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Divide the batter into eight portions, and scoop the batter to cupcake cups.
- Bake the kueh balu-cupcakes in the oven for 15 minutes at 375F.
|This is what kueh balus are supposed to look like.|
Photograph from Sinners Food Gallery.