Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mung Bean Sprouts and Chaipo (Preserved Turnips) Stirfry

When my brother came to visit this past Christmas, he got me two packets of chaipo (preserved turnips) from Toronto, since I couldn't it anywhere here in Boston. Strangly, CMart, HMart and Super88 didn't stock it! Anyway, now I have almost two pounds of chaipo (good thing these things keep forever!) and need to find a way to consume them.

Chaipo is very fragrant, and I deem it to be the vegetarian version of salted fish. It has a distinct flavor, and frying it 'disperses' the flavor to things around it well. Since we had a bunch of mung bean sprouts lying around, I decided that those two flavors could potentially go very well together - and I am right.

My side experiment was to also show Jas that things he doesn't like in one context could possibly be good in another context. He loves bean sprouts, but didn't like chaipo in an omelette (traditional Teochew dish!) but I was successful in putting it together because he didn't find it in the bean sprouts this evening *phew*.


Ingredients
  • 3/4 lb mung bean sprouts 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chaipo (preserved turnips)
  • a handful of cilantro leaves
  • 2 stalks green onions, green parts only
  • 1 teaspoon Chinese soy sauce


Method


  • In a heated pan, add oil, minced garlic and chaipo.
  • When the garlic is fragrant and golden brown, add the mung bean sprouts to the pan, mix and cover for about a minute and a half.
  • Add cilantro leaves, green onions and soy sauce, and stirfry until the bean sprouts are cooked.
  • Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment