Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Salmon Teriyaki

Salmon! My favorite fish in the whole wide world! :) We very hardly have any fish in our diet because fish is so pricey. We get it about once a month, if even. We were in HMart and salmon was on sale at $4.99 a pound, which is about $2 cheaper than the cheapest I've ever seen it at my neighborhood supermarket. That definitely calls for a treat, so we got a 1lb steak cut for about $5. 

Although I love salmon on its own, I also enjoy it with a good teriyaki sauce over it. As a kid, one of my favorite foods that I mastered (yes, in my grandmother's kitchen, this is a big deal), was salmon teriyaki. Everyone loved it, and I always get to cook it because I cooked it best (yes, they have tried and have also failed. 


Ingredients
  • 1 salmon steak
  • 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
Teriyaki Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Japanese soy sauce (yes, it is different from Chinese soy sauce)
  • 2 tablespoons sake 
  • 2 tablespoons brandy [may substitute for more sake]
  • 2 tablespoons mirin
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger juice [optional]


Method
  • Add 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil to a hot pan. Place the salmon steak to the pan for a good sear. Cover for 30 seconds, or until the salmon starts to look golden brown on the pan-side.
  • Flip the salmon over to the other side, and cover again. 
  • Turn the heat to medium-low for about 7 minutes. You should be able to peel the skin off easily by then. If not, cook until skin comes off easily.
  • In a saucepan, add the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce and cook over heat until sauce thickens slightly.
  • Pour sauce over the salmon and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment