Sunday, January 8, 2012

Singapore-Style Dry Wanton Mee (Noodles) 干捞云吞面

While shopping at HMart last weekend, we found the dried version of the wanton mee (noodles), or yellow egg noodles! We finally found it! I guess moving to the Boston area was a good idea. In the past almost six months since we moved up from Baltimore, I found freshly made yellow noodles, eefu noodles, thick rice noodles (the type for laksa), rice vermicelli and at least three different sizes of kuay teow. This is up from Baltimore's one size of kuay teow and rice vermicelli.

Finding wanton mee made me really excited, because that meant I can finally make the Singapore-style  Wanton Mee that the Cantonese restaurant in Chinatown can't make for me! Yes, Singapore's Wanton mee is slightly different from that of Hong Kong. Firstly, while we also have a soup version, we also have the much coveted (at least for me) dry version, which is so much more delicious, in my humble opinion. It has a spicy, sweet, salty and tangy sauce for the noodles! A lot of Singaporean noodle dishes, such as bak chor mee (minced pork noodles) also have such a sauce for the dry noodles, and I will cover bak chor mee another day.



Ingredients (2 servings)
  • 2 coils of yellow egg noodles
  • ~ 20 slices of char siew
  • 4 stalks of choy sum (or Chinese broccoli)
  • 10 wantons

Sauce (per serving)
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon sambal belacan (optional, or adjust to your tastes)

Method
  • Put half of the sauce mixture on a plate. Do the same with another plate.
  • Cook the wanton mee in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, until cooked. Immediately remove from water, drain, and separate into two portions. Place each portion on the plate with the sauce.
  • Toss the noodles with the sauce so that the sauce is completely incorporated with the noodles.
  • Quickly blanch the choy sum or Chinese broccoli in boiling water. Do the same with the wantons.
  • Arrange the choy sum or Chinese broccoli, wantons and char siew on top of the noodles.
  • Serve.




3 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I have been searching for this recipe for ages. I grew up in Singapore, and as a kid was addicted to this mee, yet could not find it in Europe at all. Everytime I would ask for wonton mee I would end up with the soup version. I was even starting to think I made the dish up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! The restaurants that sell wonton mee are usually Cantonese places, and they only have the ones swimming in soup!

      Delete
  2. the version of wantan mee was almost 40 years ago. bukit timah .currently across mindef. the noodles were not yellow. very pale light noddles. not oily. Chili was traditional like the malaysian kind.
    his noddles after set aside for 3-4 hour. still taste springy good. not lumpy or soggy. his sauce is simple but balanced. that to me is the loss traditional taste. the Malaysian white version. the noddles have a raw rice taste.

    ReplyDelete