Thursday, February 23, 2012

Beef Stew

Slow cooker stews have never worked out for me. Ever. I even tried getting different slow cookers, but the meat always comes out really tough. As such, I make stews the way I made them before a slow cooker came into my life - on the stovetop - and it is always incredible.

I like stews because everything in the stew is mostly inexpensive. Carrots, celery and potatoes are cheap, and are things I have in my kitchen all the time. (On hindsight, I think I have a fair amount of everything in my kitchen all the time.) Even the beef for stews are cheaper cuts that will become really tender after cooking. Cheap and tasty food = happy me!



Ingredients (5-6 servings)
  • 1 lb beef, cut into ~ 1.5" cubes
  • 5 carrots, peeled, cut into 2" sections
  • 5 stalks celery, cut into 2" sections
  • 1 onion, halved, then quartered
  • 2 cups apple cider (or apple juice)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 teaspoons salt



Method
  • In a heated frying pan, brown the pieces of beef on all sides. (I did not add oil as I felt it was unnecessary.) Do not cook the meat, just brown the sides.
  • Remove meat from heat and set aside.


  • In a heated medium stockpot, add the olive oil and onions, and sautee the onions for about one minute.
  • Add carrots, celery and apple cider, then turn the heat to high. Stir often.
  • When the apple cider comes to a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer.
  • Add the beef pieces to the stockpot, stir to mix, then cover again and let simmer for about four hours, stirring every half hour or so.
  • After four hours, remove the stew from heat, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment