My favorite meal (these days, this is all we order) at Chipotle is a burrito bowl with a tortilla on the side, with barbacoa, fajitas, black beans, brown lime cilantro rice, corn salsa, sour cream, cheese and extra lettuce. It seems so complicated, but when you're standing in line and waiting to go, there is just no better way to do it. All $6.50 worth of that meal would be divided into two equal portions. The first portion would be rolled in the tortilla like a burrito and eaten for lunch, while the remainder would be a good hearty dinner. This is how we rolled in JHops, and it was perfect. I love having Chipotle right next to school. :)
Anyway, these days, we eat Chipotle about once a month. However, making your own barbacoa is best because nothing beats waking up to your entire house smelling like Chipotle!
I made a burrito bowl with the barbacoa by adding corn salsa, cilantro lime rice, some cheese and lettuce. Just like Chipotle!
- 4 lb beef roast
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 large lime
Ingredients for Marinade
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers
- 1/2 sweet vidalia onions
- 5 large cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade in the food processor.
- Pulse until you get a rather smooth consistency.
- Place the beef roast in the slow cooker, and pour the freshly blended marinade all over the top of the beef roast.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth (or any other broth) to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on to 'Low' for 8 hours, or 'High' for 5 to 6 hours. (We left ours on overnight!)
- After the specified time, the roast would have cooked, and will be surrounded by delicious chipotle sauce.
|Homemade barbacoa - just like Chipotle's!|
- Flake the beef roast with a fork. (Yes, it will be that soft!)
- Serve on a rice bowl, tacos or in a burrito.