Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Green Monster Veggie Juice/Puree

I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" after finding it on Amazon Prime, and it was a documentary about one guy living on just veggie and fruit juices for 60 days.

I know for sure that I don't eat like the average American whose meal consists of mostly processed food (~60%), meat (~30%), white starch (~5%) and less than 5% in fruits and vegetables, but I definitely am not eating enough fruits or vegetables. Our meals are 99% non-processed (even if it is ground meat, we grind the meat ourselves), but consist of probably 40% fruits sand veggies, and 25% each of starch and meats. However, 50% is not enough and I am aiming for 75%.

I'm not going to go all out nuts and live on juices, especially when I think juice lacks fiber. I will however make veggie purees more often, and possibly substitute these for lunch. :) Instead of purees, juices will work as well. Jas thinks my veggie juice/puree is disgusting, and that is fine, because I think it is not for everyone.


Ingredients (makes 2 juice glasses)
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 handfuls spinach
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1 banana
  • 1/3 cup apple juice

Method
  • Peel the carrots, and cut the carrots and celery into bite-sized pieces.
  • Put all the ingredients in the blender. (Mine didn't fit, so I added the bananas later.)



  • Blend the mixture until it reaches a smooth consistency. If too thick, add water or more juice to dilute.
  • Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment