We were doing our usual Friday evening grocery shop, and unknowingly walked past the dessert aisle. We usually don't walk around the pre-made food section, dessert section and bakery, because the temptation will start pulling us in. "Wings... yes, wings would be great for dinner wouldn't it?"
Anyway, that one time, Jas was fixated on having cheesecake for dessert. Sure, it looked great, but who knows how long it had been sitting on the shelf? In the end, we decided to get what we needed to make our own cheesecake. Here is what came out of it! It is really delicious! I really enjoyed the citrus-y aftertaste from the orange. That definitely made the cheesecake very light and fresh.
Ingredients for Crust
- 7 digestive biscuits, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Ingredients for Cheesecake
- 12 oz cream cheese (1 1/2 packets)
- 1/4 cup sugar (this is a reduced sugar recipe)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice (fresh squeezed preferred)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- peel of 1 orange
- Place the digestive biscuits/graham crackers in a sealable bag and crush with a rolling pin. Alternatively, you may blend it up in a food processor.
- Place the butter in a bolw, and melt it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour the crumbs into the butter, and mix with your hands.
- Pour the butter-crumb mixture into a pie plate, and form the crust by pressing the butter-crumb mixture onto the sides of the plate.
- Plate the pie plate in the fridge for 15 minutes to set the mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- When the mixture is smooth, add sour cream, milk, orange juice and orange peel.
- Mix until evenly combined, then pour this mixture into the pie plate.
- Let the cheesecake set in the fridge for 40 minutes to an hour.