Friday, February 24, 2012

Shredded Pork and Baby Bamboo Stirfry 小竹炒肉絲

There is one half decent Chinese restaurant in the suburban university town where I live in, and their specialty is shredded pork and baby bamboo. The two times I've been there (I see no point in going to Chinese restaurants  in this country because 95% of the time, I get disappointed because I cook better), the recommended dish to order is this shredded pork and bamboo stirfry. And so, on the second time, I tried it.

It was great! Mind = blown! A simple, unassuming brown dish turned out to be absolutely delicious. I guess that's why everyone at the restaurant ordered that dish. It had the perfect combination of sweet and salty, and the texture of the bamboo shoots was just fantastic.

Being the culinary genius I am (just kidding), I could tell exactly what went into the dish by just tasting it. Yes, my palate is really pretty amazing, which is why I often imitate dishes I eat outside and cook it at home.

(apologies for the terrible iPhone picture)

Ingredients  (2 servings)
  • 1/2 pound pork, shredded (cut into thin strips)
  • 1 can of bamboo shoots, cut into strips
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce 

Method

  • In a heated pan, add oil and fry the garlic until fragrant.
  • When the garlic is fragrant, add the shredded pork.
  • When the pork is half-cooked, add the bamboo shoots, soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
  • Fry the mixture until the pork is completely cooked.
  • Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment