We had friends over on Friday night for games, and I decided to make something that was fast, delicious, healthy and accessible for all ages (a friend was going to bring her 5 yr old). Since it was also a work day (meaning I either compose or teach 9-5), and Friday being my busiest day of the week (yes, what a bummer!) I resorted to an easy cake.
Easy cakes are cakes where everything goes in one mixing bowl, then into the pan and into the oven. It must not require frosting or icing, since it is already yummy enough.
This cake was definitely an easy cake, and I was certainly awed by the response. Everyone loved it! After one slice, one of our friends jokingly said that there would be no leftover cake after the night is over (that was 24 slices for 6 people, kid not included!) Although we did not finish all the cake (there were 4 pieces left after the night was over), everyone simply loved this cake. It was really soft, moist and filled with appl-ey goodness. It is almost unfair that such a good cake took almost no time to prepare. There is no way one wouldn't love this cake!
P.S. I adapted this recipe and reduced the sugar by more than half. I also reduced the oil by 1/4 cup. I'm feel proud that I saved everyone a few calories that night. :)
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 large apples, cubed
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients except the apples using a spatula.
- Peel and cube the apples, then add the apples to the mixing bowl and fold to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and bake the cake in the oven for one hour at 350F.
- Serve warm.