Thursday, February 2, 2012

Steak Fajitas with Fresh Lime


A couple of days ago, we stumbled upon a small Mexican taqueria near our house, and had lunch there. I can't remember the last time I had great Mexican food (that is not Anna's or Chipotle), but the last memorable one was in Houston, Texas with my friend, Ning. Anyway, at that little Mexican place, I had carne asada and Jas had chicken fajitas and they were both uber delicious. I was craving some Mexican food tonight and decided to mash the two together and have steak fajitas, since it was exactly what I had in the fridge. 

I served this with homemade rice pilaf, homemade guacamole, sour cream and refried beans (ok, this was from a can). It was awesome! Jas made a burrito out of it and I had mine rice-bowl style. I was going to make pico de gallo (my favorite), but did not have enough tomatoes, so I guess that one will have to wait for another time. 



Ingredients (3 servings)
  • 1/2 pound thin sliced flank steak, cut into 1/2" strips
  • 2 peppers (red, green or orange), sliced into strips
  • 1 onion, sliced into strips
  • 1/2 jalepeno pepper, deseeded and sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 + 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1 lime, cut into wedges

Method
  • In a hot pan, add 1/2 tablespoon oil, and fry the steak strips to your desired doneness. (For me, that would be medium-rare to medium.)
  • Remove the steak strips from the heat and set aside.
  • In the same pan at medium heat, add 1/2 tablespoon of oil and sautee onions until they are fragrant.
  • Add peppers to the pan and fry until the peppers are cooked.
  • Add salt, hot sauce, cumin and cooked steak strips.
  • Fry to mix, then serve with fresh lime.
jas' lunchbox for tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment