Oh, it's Valentine's Day. Sure enough, strawberries were on sale, and there were at least six people standing around picking out their favorite punnet. T-bone steaks too, were on sale, and I saw countless clueless husbands and boyfriends just standing around not knowing which steak to buy. Valentine's day is such a joke. You don't need Valentine's Day to show love, just show it everyday - this should be the way.
As such, we're not much of Valentine's Day celebrators - no gifts, no fancy dinners and certainly no flowers. Nope, nope, nope. I'm not going to indulge in this commercial 'festival'. Last year, we decided to get Pandemic (board game) and this year, we're getting a kitchen scale! (I'm so excited for the kitchen scale!) And that's all we're doing for Vday, since I'll be in school, teaching a class till 8pm that night.
In lieu of gifts, fancy dinners, flowers and all the 'shebangz', I'm going to do what I do best - cook (or compose a piece). For dinner (the day before), we're having garlic butter pan-fried steak (for I have no cast iron pan) with lemon garlic broccoli and garlic hasselback potatoes with herbed sour cream. It's a garlic feast! For dessert, we had an easy bake chocolate cake. And for the first time in my life, I splurged on a nice cut of strip steak. :)
Happy Valentine's Day!
- 2 pieces of strip steak (about 1/2 lb per piece)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
|one clove = ten slices :)|
- Remove the steaks from the fridge and let them get to room temperature.
- Oil the steaks with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To a hot (make sure it is very hot!) pan, add the butter, and let the butter brown slightly.
- Add the sliced garlic and steaks to the hot pan.
- Let the steaks cook for 3 minutes. Do not turn over. Meanwhile, baste the steak with the butter.
- When the garlic is brown, remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- After 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and keep basting.
- Cook for another 3 minutes. This is for medium done steak.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- Serve with the garlic chips.