However, chocolate tastes awesome. This is an easy chocolate cake recipe for those who want chocolate in their lives, but are too occupied with other stuff as well - like making the all too delicious Garlic Butter Panfried Steak while steaming Lemon Garlic Broccoli for the big Valentine's Day meal. This cake baked with my Garlic Hasselback Potatoes too, for those who are interested in making full use of the oven when it's turned on.
This was an incredibly easy cake to make, and tasted far too good for the time it took to make it. For Valentine's Day at home, it was also a fun activity because we both put the cake together - cutting out shapes, whipping cream and stacking the pieces. It took less than 5 minutes to put the batter together, and then it sat in the oven for 35 minutes, then took less than five minutes to put the cake together.
If you want fun, easy romance - try this!
- 1/3 cup sugar (this is a reduced sugar recipe)
- 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
Ingredients for Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Mix the dry ingredients together (sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt).
- Then add the egg, milk and vanilla essence, and mix.
- Lastly, add the boiling water, and mix until you get a smooth consistency. (Don't worry, the mixture will be runny.)
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch round baking pan.
- Add chocolate chips now, if you like.
- Bake at 375F for 35 - 40 minutes.
- After baking, let cool before cutting heart shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Cut heart shapes out of the cake with a cookie cutter.
- Whip whipping cream with a hand mixer until it forms soft peaks.
- Spread some whipping cream on top of the bottom slice of cake, and top off with another slice of cake.
- Add a dollop of whipping cream to the top, and top it off with shaved chocolate or strawberries.