Monday, March 26, 2012

Basic Stuffing (with Mushrooms)

I love stuffing! It's my favorite dish at Thanksgiving by a long shot! My favorite stuffing is a fancy wild rice with wild mushrooms stuffing - it's so good! However, I had no wild rice, and no wild mushrooms, so I had to settle for the basic stuffing (but with mushrooms of course!) Actually, I'm not really settling for it, since it is so delicious on its own too, especially if you haven't had the fancier stuffings.

We had some baguette left from when I made baguette for bánh mì thịt nướng (Vietnamese baguette with grilled pork) and I was thinking up recipes that would be fine with stale bread. Of course, there was the classic bread pudding, and the usual other stuff like croutons and bread crumbs. I finally thought of stuffing, and it seemed like an epiphany of sorts. Stuffing! I should have thought of that. I don't have to wait till Thanksgiving for stuffing now!



Ingredients (4-6 servings)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 baguette, cut into smaller pieces
  • 1 - 2 cups of chicken stalk (depends on how dry your bread is, and how wet you like your stuffing to be)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • [optional] 3 large white mushrooms (or 5 regular sized ones), chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste


Method
  • In a large saucepan, melt the butter, then saute the onions.
  • When the onions are slightly soft, add the celery and fry until the celery is soft.
  • Add the baguette pieces, and add chicken stock 1/4 cup at a time, until slightly drier than your desired consistency.


  • Finally, add mushrooms and fry. (Mushrooms give out water when cooking, so it is important to not add more stock than needed.)
  • Add more stock if needed.


  • [optional] Transfer the stuffing into a 8" x 8" baking pan, and bake at 400F for 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment