This is going to be one hard recipe to categorized. What will buttered bok choy with almonds count as - Asian or Western? I have no idea, but the one thing I know is that this is my own recipe. I dreamt of it, believe it or not, and have been wanting to try this seemingly strange combination of ingredients.
Well, I guess people can argue that this is not a strange concoction at all. After all, butter goes with anything - at least I think so, and the Asians have been using cashews in their stirfrys since forever. So, why not almonds, right?
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 lb bok choy, washed
- 2 tablespoons almond slivers (I didn't have any, so I chopped some whole roasted almonds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the bok choy and 2 tablespoons of water in a pot.
- Cover, and turn up the heat.
- When steam starts becoming visible though the lid, uncover, and add the butter.
- Mix the butter and bok choy until evenly combined.
- Add the almonds, toss to combine, then serve.