Sunday, March 18, 2012

Coq au Vin (Chicken with Red Wine) in a Slow Cooker

The first time I had Coq au Vin, it was at Marie Louise Bistro back in ol'Balty. I remembered it being so good, that I often craved for it. Unfortunately, it was the one and only time I've had coq au vin at Marie Louise Bistro because they keep selling out for dinner.

Anyway, like I've always said, the slow cooker is my best friend. This semester, I have two days a week where I start at 9am and end at 8pm, so those days, I let my slow cooker cook for me. I prep everything the night before, put it in the fridge, then take it out the next morning, start the slow cooker and leave to do all my important things in school. When I come back, I can often smell food from the door, and it is just a great great aroma for welcoming me back home.

It is easy, and it is fast (since it is mostly prep work). More importantly, it is delicious. I never understood why having a long day at work is an excuse for eating out for many people. Makes no sense to me, if you can eat cheaply, healthily, deliciously and easily at home. Oh well, so much makes no sense to me these days. If only I can change the world, one crockpot at a time.

 
Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 2 chicken thighs + 2 chicken legs (or substitute with 2 breasts)
  • 4 carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 1 onion, cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme (I substituted with thyme powder)
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary (I substituted with dried rosemary)
  • 4 slices bacon, cooked till crispy
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 5 large white mushrooms, quartered (or 8 normal sized ones)
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 cups red wine (dry is better)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper for seasoning

Thickener (optional)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour


Method
  • Add all the ingredients in the crockpot, with the chicken on top of the vegetables.
  • Turn on the crock pot on low for at least 8 hours.
  • Mix the flour and butter together using a fork.

  • Before serving, remove the chicken pieces from the crock pot, then add the flour/butter mixture, and stir until the sauce has thickened.
  • Serve coq au vin with mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment