Monday, March 19, 2012

Emy's Pink Birthday Cake

When Jas asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told him I wanted a pink cake with white icing. And that's what I got, although that wasn't all I got; he got me a 23" inch monitor that I now work on. It is great because it's so big compared to the 13" laptop screen that I've painstakingly edited scores on for years. I don't think I can go back to working on a 13" screen after I've been spoiled with a 23". The difference is a whopping 10" (diagonal length!)

Anyway, so we went about making a pink cake. I helped, of course, since I wanted to try making a recipe for a basic moist butter cake. So off we went with baking a cake from scratch. I even got my piping bag, piping tips and even a cake cutter ready for the big event - baking a pink cake!

I don't like buttercream icing - I find it too dense, so I used whipped cream as the icing instead. I need to find a recipe for an icing that is in between buttercream icing and whipped cream!

P.S. If you're wondering why I'm only 7, well, its a joke between the both of us. We subtracted many years to get to that number! :)



Ingredients for Cake
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar (this is a reduced sugar recipe)
  • a pinch of salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essense
  • [optional] pink food coloring
  • whipping cream for topping


Method
  • Cream butter with a hand mixer, and slowly add sugar and salt, and let this mixture cream for a few minutes.
  • Add eggs one at a time.
  • Alternate by adding some flour, then some milk, until everything is evenly combined.
  • Add vanilla essence and pink food coloring (optional).
  • Oil three 8-inch baking pans, and divide the mixture evenly between the three pans. (I used two 9-inch pans.)
  • Bake for about 30 minutes at 350F.


  • When done, let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove from the pan.
  • Slice off the top and bottom surface of each cake. 
  • Assemble the cake by adding whipped cream in between each layer and all of the outside.
  • Decorate as you wish.


Any idea what we did on my birthday? We went out for Korean barbecue! - one of my favorite meals to ever have, since it is so delicious and comes with free flow of all the sides and drinks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment