Most people I know don't know what monkey bread is. It is basically just biscuits (American biscuits, just to be clear) cut into smaller pieces and rolled in cinnamon and sugar, then baked.
As Jas' grandparents both turn 89 (yup, born on the same day of the same year) today, we visited them at their place over the weekend and brought them some monekybread cups. I guess it was well appreciated that we didn't just make "a brownie or something boring" :) Jas' grandmother makes the most delicious cookies and sweet stuff. My favorite has definitely got to be the pecan cookies I got for my birthday this year!
Ingredients (makes 12 cups)
- 2 rolls of ready-made cookies (or 20 pieces)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Cut up the biscuit into four or six pieces per biscuit. Set aside.
- In a large microwavable bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Add a few pieces of biscuit in the sugar/cinnamon mixture, and toss until coated.
- Place the coated pieces of biscuit in muffin cups.
- Continue until all 12 muffin cups are filled with cinnamon sugar biscuits.
- With the remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture, add the butter and crushed pecans.
- Place the bowl in the microwave, and heat for 30 seconds, or until the butter is melted.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave, then mix everything together evenly.
- Divide this pecan/butter mixture over the twelve muffin cups. (We only did it for six.)
- Bake the muffin cups in the oven for the time and temperature specified on the biscuits container.