Monday, March 5, 2012

Đồ chua (Vietnamese Pickled Carrots and Radishes)

I never thought I'd like it when I first heard about pickled anything, but I love đồ chua! So, for those of you who are like me, who make it a point to order burgers without pickles, don't be afraid. These are not only delicious, they are really refreshing as well! Like I said, I never thought I'd like them, but now I love them! Also, these keep for ages in the fridge. I have some that are about 3 months old, and they're still super crunchy, and the flavor definitely packs a punch!

By the way, if anyone was wondering how I julienned these carrots and radishes, I got myself a julienne peeler. I bought it with the intention to make lo hei for Chinese New Year, but got lazy and never got down to it. :) I'm so glad I bought a julienne peeler. I used to cut all of it by hand, because shredding it made it super limp and not crunchy.

So, to keep the mystery in the air, I'm posting this out of context again. A clue for those still trying to be in the loop - I made nước mắm chấm and đồ chua, and both are popular Vietnamese condiments. *hint*hint*! 



Ingredients
  • 2 large carrots, julienned
  • 1 large radish, julienned
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup water


Method
  • Combine the water, vinegar and sugar in a saucepan.
  • Heat and stir until the sugar dissolves in the vinegar-water solution.
  • Let the mixture cool.
  • Meanwhile, pack the julienned carrots and radish in a glass jar.
  • When the mixture is cooled, pour the mixture over the carrots and radish, and screw the jar cover on.
  • Keep in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before eating. (These will  last for months in the fridge!)


No comments:

Post a Comment