Friday, March 2, 2012

Scalloped Potato Gratin

I don't know why, but we always have potatoes at home, and I'm always up for finding new ways for making potatoes. I guess potatoes are a relatively cheap food, although it is not that healthy, since it is starch, starch and more starch. I don't particularly like eating potatoes, but I think they're a versatile food, and easily absorbs flavors - which I like very much. 

Some people may say that I'm jiak kang tang (eat potatoes in Teochew), which refers to people of Asian heritage who has been educated and live like a Westerner, sometimes even abandoning their Asian cultures and heritage. I strongly disagree. I admit that I might have been jiak kang tang in the past, but since coming to the US, I feel more Asian, and I definitely feel more Singaporean. They can't take the Singapore out of me when I'm here, but Singapore definitely takes the Singapore out of me when I'm back. [OK, that's another political discussion for another day.] Back to potatoes!




Ingredients (2-3 servings)
  • 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin slices
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of pepper
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheese
  • [optional] 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
  • [optional] 1 teaspoon chives, chopped


Method
  • Oil a loaf pan with butter, then layer the sliced potatoes in a loaf pan.
  • Sprinkle some salt, pepper, garlic and herbs on the potatoes.
  • Pour the cream onto the potatoes, then top with cheese.


  • Bake in the oven at 375F for 50 minutes.
  • Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment