Monday, March 12, 2012

Veggie Pajeon (Korean Veggie Pancake)

On my birthday, we went for Korean BBQ! I love Korean BBQ and I haven't had Korean BBQ in a long time, so we drove all the way into the city (well, okay, it wasn't that far away at all) for some good Korean BBQ. 

Anyway, as much as I love Korean food, I never order pajeons (Korean pancakes) when I eat Korean BBQ. This is because the sides for Korean BBQ are always free-flow, and you can eat as much sides as you possibly can for no extra charge. Hence, we usually just get two meat orders for the BBQ (the minimum that they will allow before they set up the BBQ for you), and fill up with the sides. Hence, if I order pajeon, not only will I be the only one eating it (Jas won't eat it), it would be less economical since I'll be paying more and filling up to the same fullness because the sides are free anyway. Yes, I'm cheap, but I do try to be as frugal as possible. Plus, I make great pajeons (as my Korean friends can confirm...) Also, I've started growing green onions (amongst other edible things like garlic) in my kitchen, so it's free flow of green onions! *whee*

For the recipe to a seafood version of this (haemul pajeon), go here.



Ingredients (1 lunch-sized pajeon)
  • 4 stalks scallions or green onions, cut into 2-inch sections
  • 4 leaves napa cabbage, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • [optional] 1/8 teaspoon Korean chili powder (or regular chili powder)


Method
  • For the batter, mix the flour, egg, water and salt together in a bowl, and set aside.
  • In a frying pan, add oil, then fry the scallions and napa cabbage until slightly limp.
  • Add in the batter, and let it fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
  • When the the bottom is golden brown, flip over.
  • Fry until the other side is golden brown, then serve.



1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog and I love it! I want to try cooking some of the recipes but the pictures in the older entries are not showing up :(

    ReplyDelete