This is the second recipe I tried with yu choy or caixin. The first time around, I made Yu Choy Sum (Caixin) with Shiitake Mushrooms.They are both good. The shiitake mushrooms gave the yu choy a slightly deeper undertone than with Chinese sausage. However, I do like the Chinese sausage version better, because it is brighter and has a more complex aroma.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- approx 3/4 lb caixin (sometimes you find it as yu choy)
- 1 Chinese sausage, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Wash the caixin, then cut it half, separating the leaves from the stems.
- Split the larger stems in half lengthwise, so that everything cooks for the same amount of time.
- In a heated pan, fry the Chinese sausage.
- When oil starts to ooze out of the Chinese sausage, add cooking oil and garlic.
- Fry until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add the stems, and fry until half cooked.
- Add the leaves, and fry until completely cooked.
- Add soy sauce and fry to combine.