Sunday, May 6, 2012

Apple Phyllo Crisps

Somewhere in my youth, I've had apple phyllo tarts before. Where, when and how, I have no idea, but I definitely remember the idea and taste of an apple phyllo tart crumbling in my mouth, and the mild sweetness of apples oozing after biting into it. It fuzzies up my senses thinking of myself as a kid, and that really wasn't too long ago either. Hopefully my mom can shed some light about when and from where I remember apple phyllo tarts. One thing's for sure, they are delicious, and they were gone within 10 minutes!

I'll be heading to Singapore in a few hours to see family and friends. It's my yearly pilgrimage to the motherland where I'll feel completely out of place as usual. Yeah, I feel out of place in my own country. Sad, isn't it? Anyway, posts will be sporadic for a few days because I'll be spending a night 'camped' out somewhere in JFK (my flight leaves JFK at 11am, but the latest bus leaves Boston at 8.30pm the night before, and I'm too stingy to bother with getting a hotel/hostel room for the night), and the flight takes about 24 or so hours. 



Ingredients
  • 8 sheets phyllo dough
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 apples
  • (tiny) pinch of salt


Method
  • Brush the bottom of a cookie sheet with some butter, then place a sheet of phyllo on the cookie sheet. 
  • Brush the cookie sheet with butter, then add another sheet of phyllo.
  • Repeat with all the sheets of phyllo dough.
  • When the last sheet is placed, brush with some butter, then add sliced apples on top of they phyllo sheets.
  • Sprinkle with a tiny amount of salt.
  • Bake in the oven at 400F for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sheets become golden.
  • Cut with a pizza slicer and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment