Ingredients for dough (makes 2 braids, approximately 4 to 6 servings)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
Toppings (really, anything you want)
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 cup cheese (any kind)
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce (I like mine saucy, and you could use less)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine sugar, warm water and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Let proof for ten minutes, or until yeast mixture is frothy.
- Add oil and flour and knead for about 7 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the casing for the Italian sausage and chop into small pieces.
- In a hot pain, add some oil and fry the sausage pieces until cooked.
- After proofing, punch down the dough and knead for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into two portions, and roll each portion into a longish oval (about a foot in length.)
- Spread about 1/3 cup of pizza sauce in the middle of the dough (see picture above.)
- Add half the cooked Italian sausage pierce and cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Using a knife, cut the dough on the sides into strips.
- Fold the top flap down and the bottom flap up, then pull a left strip over the front of the braid, over the toppings.
- Pull a right strip over the left strip, and continue braiding until the all the strips are used.
- Do the same for the other portion of dough.
- Place both braids on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.