Jas and I are huge fans of Chipotle and Anna's. However, we have beef barbacoa at Chipotle, but pork carnitas at Anna's. Somehow, this was the best we tried, and hence we stuck to this combination. Between Chipotle's beef barbacoa and Anna's pork carnitas, I really can't decide which is 'better'.
So, since I've already made a copycat recipe of Chipotle's beef barbacoa, I decided to make one for Anna's pork carnitas too! :) Americanized-mex food isn't bad, its just different. In fact, I love both authentic Mex and stuff like Chipotle or Anna's. In my mind, they are just different and there is no need to compare them. (Just like Americanized-Chinese and authentic Chinese food!)
Ingredients for marinade
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1/2 sweet vidalia onions
- 5 large cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 2 lb pork butt
- 1 1/2 sweet vidalia onions
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- juice of one lime
- In a food processor, blend everything for the marinade together.
- Add the onions to the slow cooker, then add the pork on top of the onions.
- Pour the entire marinade over the pork.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, lime juice, then turn on low and let the slow cooker cook for at least 8 hours.
- 8 hours later, shred the pork with two forks. It will shred very easily.
- Serve with tacos, burritos, rice etc.