Friday, April 27, 2012

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Cinnamon

I like parsnips, but somehow, they are expensive and in this household, that's just not good. Fortunately, I found some parsnips going at 99c/lb at H-Mart one week (I usually see it for at least $2.99/lb) and decided to get a few. It's not my first time eating parsnips, but it was my first time cooking them.

Parsnips are root vegetables, and are very similar to carrots. One can think of them as white (and sweeter) carrots, but I find their texture to be a cross between carrots and potatoes - there is a slightly starchy quality to them. I think this is why mashed parsnips are delicious!

Anyway, here's a simple roasted carrot and parsnip dish. The cinnamon really brings out the sweetness of these root veggies!



Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound parsnip, cut into fry-sized pieces
  • 1/2 pound carrots, cut into fry-sized pieces
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
  • ground black pepper to taste


Method
  • In a bowl, toss the carrot and parsnip pieces in oil until evenly covered.
  • Add the salt, sugar, pepper and cinnamon powder to the carrot and parsnip pieces.
  • Toss to combine.
  • Spread the vegetables on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven at 400F for 10 minutes.
  • Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment