Monday, April 9, 2012

Tau Sar 豆沙 (Red Bean Paste)

There is so much one can do with red bean paste. I can  make red bean bread/buns, red bean bao, red bean mochi, red bean tang yuan 红豆汤圆, red bean stuffed egg white souffle, red bean sesame balls, red bean pancakes, red bean mooncakes, red bean rice dumplings... the possibilities are endless!

I always see cans of red bean paste on sale, but I never buy my red bean paste because I know I can make it pretty easily, and I also don't want to fry my red bean paste. Frying makes the paste darker in color, but I don't care too much about this lightish pink color for my red bean paste (looking at the colors of the blog, one would probably understand this.)



Ingredients
  • 1 cup red beans, soaked for 24 hours
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • water

compare the soaked and unsoaked red beans

Ingredients
  • Pour out about 1 cup of red beans, and pick away small stones and broken beans.
  • Soak the red beans for about 24 hours (or overnight will do too!)


  • Drain the water used for soaking, add new water, and bring the beans to a boil. When the water starts boiling, cover, and turn down to a simmer, and simmer for about an hour and a half to two hours, or until the beans are easily mashable. Remember to constantly add water so that the beans do not dry out.
  • When the beans are easily mashable, drain and keep the liquid.
  • Mash with a potato masher, or blend it in a food processor.
  • Add the liquid used for boiling the beans when blending, so that a smooth paste is formed.


  • Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. You can freeze it too, but it will be slightly grainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment