Sunday, May 20, 2012

Salted Fish Fried Rice

I love salted fish, salted eggs, salted vegetables, salted everything. When I was younger, I was a big kid for my age, and people always asked me what I ate, since I was so big. My to-go answer was always "salted fish, salted eggs, salted vegetables." 

There is so much to do with salted fish, but unfortunately, it is very expensive. My maternal grandmother just got some for $80/kg (obviously she couldn't buy one whole kg since it's so expensive.) The salted fish we used for the fried rice today was given by my maternal grandmother. My maternal grandmother is the head chef of the family, and everything she cooks is just simply delicious. Everything. Among the grandchildren, we say that even grandma's shit tastes good. *haha*



Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup salted fish, minced
  • 1/2 lb bean sprouts
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups cooked rice (preferably rice kept overnight in the fridge)
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • dash of white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil

salted fish

Method
  • In a heated pan, add oil and garlic. 
  • Fry the garlic for 20 seconds, then add salted fish.
  • Fry the garlic and salted fish until fragrant and golden brown.
  • Add rice, and fry everything together.
  • Make a hole in the middle of the pan. Crack the eggs in the hole, and scramble the eggs.
  • When the eggs are almost cooked, push the rice onto the egg, and stirfry until the eggs are evenly combined with the rice.
  • Add bean sprouts, white pepper, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce.
  • Fry everything until evenly combined.
  • Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment