Monday, June 11, 2012

Crispy Fried Tofu

I love tofu - especially the homemade and really silky types. I like it just raw, steamed, stirfried, braised and in just almost any form. One of my favorite tofus in the world is the fried smelly tofu from Taiwanese cuisine. I especially love the aftertaste and aroma of it, though others may run in the opposite direction due to the smell. I do believe that frying anything just makes it instantly better. I'm not making smelly tofu today, but it is pretty close, just without the smelliness/aroma.



Ingredients
  • half a block of tofu (I used medium-hard tofu)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • salt to taste
  • 4 tablespoons cooking oil



Method
  • Fold two kitchen towels into quarters, and wrap the block of tofu with the kitchen towel.
  • Press firmly (try not to break the tofu into pieces) on the top of the tofu to remove excess water from the tofu. [I was trying to be innovative, and used my Brita filter to press on the tofu instead.]


Method
  • Slice the tofu into six equal pieces.
  • Season each piece with salt.
  • Place the cornstarch in a small bowl, and coat each piece of tofu with a thin layer of cornstarch.
  • Add oil to a frying pan, and heat the oil.
  • When the oil is heated enough [add a pinch of cornstarch to the oil, if it bubbles quickly, it is hot enough], fry the tofu pieces in the oil.
  • When one side is golden brown, turn over and fry on the other side.
  • Serve.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me to use cornstarch...I have the EZ Tofu Press for removing the water from firm and extra firm tofu. It improves the tofu texture and flavor absorption....saves on towels and falling objects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should get that too! Seems to be much less of a hassle! :)

      Delete