Thursday, July 19, 2012

Basil Green Beans

Last Saturday, we headed to the farmers' market and got some really fresh green beans, as well as a basil plant. Yup, you heard it, plant. I'd have gotten all sorts of herb plants, but it doesn't seem like there were any left int he late summer. What a bummer! I'd have to make sure to get some early next summer. I love fresh herbs. I mean, who doesn't?

Anyway, since I just got back from my Scandinavian/Baltics trip, I haven't cooked real food in three weeks. Of course, there's the frozen pizza and sandwiches I made at the hostel, but nothing with an open flame, pots and pans. I couldn't wait to start cooking again, and figured that less is more when fresh veggies are concerned, and that this would be a really delicious recipe.

We had this as a side with steamed corn, with the baked spicy Asian chicken thighs as the main star of the plate. It was so yummy! I'm definitely doing this again. 



Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound green beans, tips chopped off
  • 4 basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • some cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup water


Method
  • In a heated pan, add olive oil, then add green beans.
  • Add water, then cover for 3-4 minutes, or until beans are tender.

  • Add chopped basil, then fry for about a minute.
  • Add salt and pepper, then toss to combine.
  • Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment