Monday, July 23, 2012

Char Kuay Teow (Singapore Fried Black Rice Noodles) 炒粿条

Char Kuay Teow is one Singaporean dish that everyone loves to have, but can never have enough. It is literally a heart-stopping dish, since it is usually made with a ton of pork lard (oh so delicious pork lard). I would love a plate of Char Kuay Teow from the Bedok South market near my parents' house in Singapore, but living halfway across the world just robs luxuries like this away from you. I guess that's the trade off for having free 2-day shipping from Amazon, or living in an apartment the size of a 4 room flat in Singapore with one other person just 20mins away from Boston.

 Oh well, I'll stop griping and get back to Char Kuay Teow. Obviously, I can't have my Bedok South Char Kuay Teow (the very thought of it makes my mouth water!) And obviously, this part of the world doesn't constantly stock yellow noodles (I did make a run yesterday looking for it), or even stocks the fat kuay teow noodles. There is no hum (blood cockles - my favorite part of Char Kuay Teow) in this part of the world, and somehow, lard is not popular here either.

 Against the odds, I decided that I had to make Char Kuay Teow. Its the quintessential Singaporean dish, and being the Singaporean foodie I am, there was no way Char Kuay Teow is escaping my grasps, even from this far away. I'm making a Char Kuay Teow recipe that is skimmed - no hum, no lard, no fat kuay teow noodles and no yellow noodles. I apologize that is not as authentic as it can be, but it is as authentic as it gets around here. Still, despite everything, it was delicious! Yes! I'm not talking American standard delicious. I'm saying, my Singaporean-bred taste buds thought it was delicious. Therefore, it is delicious!



Visit the recipe at http://www.emylogues.wordpress.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment