Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Shakshuka (Tunisian Poached Eggs in a Spicy Tomato Sauce)

As some might know, I visited Israel less than a month ago, just before this current wave of Gaza-mess, and had more than a wonderful time there. I wish more people could visit Israel and experience what I did, and I am so glad for the opportunity (going on work no less!) to visit a land with such a rich history.

Of course, food is something I've always been adventurous with while travelling, and while some of the people at the conference had MacD everywhere they go, I went for the local food at every opportunity and prided myself in NEVER eating a meal at MacD or any other international chain store. I had so much local food that I loved, and hence came back trying to imitate those flavors in my own kitchen.

Shakshuka is a Tunisian dish of poached egg in a spicy tomato sauce that was very commonly found in Israel. I don't know if the Israeli version is dissimilar to the Tunisian version since I've never been to Tunisia and as such have never had Tunisia shakshuka, but from speaking to the locals, I believe that it is the same dish. I love shakshuka and could eat it any time. Poached eggs are absolutely delicious, especially with the runny yolks dripping everywhere!



No comments:

Post a Comment